The first thing you should have thought when you heard Rutgers student Tyler Clementi jumped off a bridge because he was outed was, “Huh?”
Being gay in American colleges today is like having black hair with a naturally occurring white streak, or a huge tattoo on your leg you got during the five years you spent surfing in Thailand, or having a real eyepatch that you actually need.
However, using this as yet another example of the horrible gay bullying epidemic that’s taking over the country fits the narrative, so the media ran with it. They get their story and an innocent man named Dharun Ravi goes to jail for a hate crime. That’s what drives me nuts about these witch hunts. They invent a victim in the name of saving lives and have no regard for the lives they destroy.
HERE’S WHAT WE WERE TOLD
1. Closeted gay kid performs a shameful blow job.
2. Evil homophobic roommate films it and puts it on the Internet.
3. Closeted gay kid is so mortified, he jumps off a bridge.
4. homophobe is charged with a hate crime and is awaiting sentencing.
HERE’S WHAT REALLY HAPPENED
1. Totally out gay kid who chats on gay messageboards all the time invites yet another boyfriend over. Like most dorm rooms, him and his roommate have a policy. If the dorm is a rockin’, don’t come a-knockin’. However, Tyler’s roommate was getting sick of being booted out of the room all the time.
2. Ravi purposely leaves his webcam on so it would record what was going on in the room and he Tweets about it. He does this more than once. The first time Tyler basically rolls his eyes and says the equivalent of, “Don’t jerk.” The second time he gets a bit more annoyed. Not distraught but annoyed.
The second webcam viewing captures Tyler kissing a dude. As soon as Tyler noticed this was going on, he closed the laptop. He later said on message boards that he kind of likes his roommate but the guy is just really irritating and they’re just not compatible. This prank was about as consequential as leaving an insulting cartoon of Tyler on the coffee table or writing “You Stink” in fridge magnets. The footage was never seen! The only reason we know what was on the video is because of the trial. It was never put on the Internet.
3. Tyler kills himself, which is obviously a horrible tragedy.
4. Person who has no problem with gays is convicted of a hate crime. Not for what’s in his heart but what’s in someone else’s.
The second version is way too long so, the press just went with the short and snappy one. How did we get here? The media is so obsessed with their cause, they actually want there to be homophobes on every corner. When Brandon White was beaten for being a “faggot,” pundits clapped their hands with glee. When it later came out the assailants were mad because White was threatening to out them, the story vanished.
Lazy journalists and career activists such as Dan Savage need there to be a war on homos. Without it, they’re out of a job. The irony is, they started their crusade to protect the innocent, but their totalitarianism is doing the opposite.
WordPress Support by WPBlogSupport.com